Thursday, May 22, 2008
Discipline is the key to a happy and successful life, people say. But what defines success? After all it is just a matter of perception. What one may consider success, to another it is failure. But again, the wise will only consider failure as a stepping stone to success, nothing more than a temporary setback. So let us put it this way, success is the consequence of chasing one's dreams and then defining his life by the dreams.
Next question, how does being successful make you happy? If you define success as money and prosperity in life, then happiness will exist only in dreams. But as per my earlier definition of success, trudging the path that you long for, chasing your dream, will be reconciling to your innate desires and then you will be happy not just at the end of the road but all along the way as well.
Now, what has discipline got to do with all this? Nothing much. Just that it is human nature to relinquish dreams after a few setbacks. Think that they are wasting their time and should live their life as per the norm, safe without taking risks. To avoid this, to keep going along the tough but desired path, without discipline, you better not set out in the first place.
- I shouldn't act because other people do so in a particular way. Principles, I should have and, insight and foresight should be the basis of my life. Action ought to have reason and the reason must be honourable. Rude and arrogant, I should not be, for wherever I reach; always remember I should, that I started at zero.
- The more you chase after it, the more you long for it. The more you long for it, the harder it is for you to let go. The harder it is for you to let go, it slips away all the more easily. That is life.
- If you haven't tried, you haven't lived.
- Be careful not to fall prey to adulations soothing your ego.
- Stop pretending to be who you are not and start playing to your strengths.
- Don't make promises you are not sure you can keep.
- The simplest way to solve a problem is to be sure that there is somebody to help you.
- Life is full of choices, this life is yours and thus the choices are yours too.
- Are we human because we gaze at stars or do we gaze at stars because we are human?
- What one says will soon be forgotten, but what one does will live on for thousands of years.
- The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing-- Edmund Burke.
- Some times in life when you feel let down, don't lose heart, because if that too is gone, then there is no hope.
- A word can inspire millions, a word can spurn revolutions, a word can bring forth great innovations; an action can speak a thousand words.
- All work and no play is progressive suicide.
- Only the strong can admit to mistakes with their heads held high; the weak nervously shuffle away with shifty glances.
- A man's character is determined by his judgement.
- The best price that life offers is the chance to work hard and to do work that's worth doing... Theodore Roosevelt